Just So You Know
- My sister has been married four times, I have been married none. I think this evens things up.
- I can't dive. I've tried, but I have some weird block against going head first into water.
- I once took Bob Barker's order when I worked at a J.Crew call center in college.
- I like chicken and I like peanuts, but I hate the two cooked together. Same thing with ham and pineapple.
- I once spent an entire afternoon shopping with an English accent, trying to convince people I was from England.
- I have a recurring dream that I left something in my childhood home. I sneak back to get it, terrified the new owners will catch me
- I hate when people don't smile back.
- The fastest way to make me angry is to criticize my family. Sure, they're all a little crazy, but only I get to say that.
- I always think sweet potato casserole is going to taste better than it actually does
- I plowed my mother's Subaru into our back deck when I was learning to drive
- I have to stop and think before I can tell left from right.
- Favorite flower - Gladiolus
- In the movie The Color Purple, when Shug bursts into the church and hugs her preacher father and says "See Daddy? Sinners have soul, too," I cry uncontrollably. Every single time. One of the greatest movie scenes ever.
- I secretly think people who say I'm hard to buy for aren't paying close enough attention.
- Believe it or not, my first published work was a Harlequin romance. Tried and True, written under the pen name Katie Gallagher.
- I wrote my first novel when I was 16, just to prove I could. It's so horrible it will never see the light of day.
- I'm a classic emotional overeater. I always think food is going to make everything better. It never does.
- I love the color orange but, for some reason, when asked, I always say my favorite color is green.
- Every time it snows, I still feel a tight happiness in my stomach and think, "No school today!"
- I once worked for an antique appraiser. Spent a lot of time in old homes. Probably why old homes are so prominent in my books.
- When I'm alone in my car, I sing without moving my lips so people won't think I'm talking to myself.
- Favorite sweet - caramel.
- I get bored brushing my teeth. I walk around while brushing, watch TV, check e-mail, anything but stand in front of the sink.
- My great-aunt was F. Scott Fitzgerald's nurse when he was once hospitalized with gout.
- I met my best friend when we were both 8 years old.
- I frequently forget what day it is.
- I was obsessed with the Griffin and Sabine books when they were first released.
- I still have and occasionally wear a vintage embroidered men's dinner jacket from my Pretty in Pink punk phase in 9th grade.
- I thought Yul Brynner was fantastically sexy in The King and I. Oh, come on. Admit it. He was.
- I have been known to comically dart out of aisles in stores when I see someone I don't want to talk to.
- I eat the pie filling but not the crust.
- I love finding the hollow malted milk balls in a box of Whoppers.
- It took twelve years of writing as close to full time as I could manage to finally make a living from it.
- And every day for twelve years my dad asked when I was going to get a real job.
- I have a lot of eye floaters. I see them all the time
- I was a good student and had good friends, but still hated every single second of high school. It was like going to a bad job.
- My dad was in a folk trio called The Highlanders in the early 1960s.
- I'm easily overwhelmed by e-mail.
- Actually, I'm easily overwhelmed by just about everything.
- I get embarrassed when I see my car windshield wipers are going faster than everyone else's. Like I'm overreacting to rain.
- I've always thought my sister Sydney got the better name.
- I don't drink coffee but, mysteriously, I have dozens of latte bowls.
- I act like I know what I'm doing, but most of the time I really have no clue.
- I used to loftily claim I read 100 Years of Solitude, but truthfully, I couldn't get past the first few pages.
- I never set my alarm clock to a regular :00 or :30. It's always some odd hour/minute combo like 6:16 or 7:37.
- I hate my 6th grade photo. Seriously, who schedules class photos right after P.E.?
- There are close and tragic histories of addiction in my family. It terrifies me into clean living.
- My signature perfume is Giardini di Montecatini VI, which hasn't been produced in years, so I hoard it when I find it on Ebay.
- I still sometimes put my digital camera to my eye before I remember it has a view screen.
- My house is named Charlotte's Rose.
- I have accidentally maced myself.
- First kiss: James Patton, 3rd grade. First boyfriend: James Gross, 3rd grade. Apparently, I was something of a 3rd grade tramp.
- I feel contractually obligated to eat the whole cupcake, when all I really like is the frosting.
- I used to write (mercifully never published) futuristic romances. The highlight: a Beauty & the Beast meets X-Men trilogy. Oh yeah.
- The Vicar of Dibley is my DVD equivalent of comfort food.
- I was half-asleep and fifteen, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a ghost.
- I irrationally fear I'll be secretly filmed from the neck down for some news story on overweight America.
- Yes, I am the person who keeps Netflix movies forever, resulting in the 'Very Long Wait' message in your queue.
- I like potato chips with milk, peanut butter with sugar sandwiches, and macaroni in my vegetable soup.
- When I was 12, I told everyone I was in love with Mark Hamill because it sounded better and more mature than saying I was in love with Luke Skywalker. But I really was in love with Luke Skywalker.
- I have telephonia: The uncontrollable fear that I'm calling people at a bad time.
- I never knew any of my grandparents.
- I wore braces for 8 years. I was convinced, of course, this was a plot hatched by my parents to make me as miserable as possible.
- Long years of braces didn't work, so at 18 I had surgery to correct my underbite. Was no longer a Jay Leno look-alike, tragically.
- For some odd reason, all my scars are on the left side of my body.
- I am an excellent daydreamer.
- I always get a Ferris Bueller's Day Off feeling when I hand my car keys over to the valet attendant
- A guy once tried to pick me up in the toilet paper aisle of a grocery store.
- According to my ipod, I've listened to The National's "Start a War" 725 times. I had it on repeat while writing my 3rd book.
- I hate for people to touch my collarbone.
- I so love the preppy plaid pastels of Lilly Pulitzer, but can't carry the look off. I've tried. Photographic evidence destroyed
- I have the same birthday as Celine Dion and Vincent van Gogh. There's a joke about singing and not hearing in there somewhere.
- I was the Smart One. My sister was the Pretty One. Sometimes I wish it was the other way around.
- Make room and watch in awe: When I dance it's like Belinda Carlisle from the Go-Gos circa 1984.
- I once wanted to be a fashion designer in my teens, despite the fact that I have no idea how to sew.
- I've always wanted to put a pink streak in my hair.
- I have every issue of Sassy magazine from 1988-1994. Remember how sexy we thought Neil was? How cool Jane and Christina were?
- I wrote my college senior thesis on Alain Robbe-Grillet. I was into the obscure back then.
- This isn't very Southern of me, but I hate when people just drop by.
- I am, essentially, a big ol' introvert.
- And yet I once applied to be on MTV's The Real World.
- I'm Swedish, German, English and Scottish. And, according to my father, somehow mysteriously related to Pocahontas.
- I can twist my tongue into the shape of a three-leaf clover. Isn't your life somehow richer for knowing this about me?
- I played Ms. Pac Man so much as a kid I developed Pac Man elbow.
- I love to pack. I hate to travel.
- I laughed before I even wrote this: It weirds me out to put my finger in my belly button. Yes, I know it begs the question why.
- I have horrible posture. At some point, my motto became: Why sit when you can slouch?
- I can't stand the sound or feel of fingernails scraping across ice.
- My childhood imaginary friends were named Tonka and Tinka, twin girls with dark bowl cuts. Tinka was nice. Tonka broke my crayons.
- I am crazy superstitious.
- I changed my name to Rose when I was a little girl.
- I think cut grass smells like freshly-sliced cucumbers.
- I can name all nine supreme court justices.
- Dale and Thomas white chocolate and peanut butter popcorn. I die.
- Tie-dye and tiaras (not necessarily together) remind me of my mother.
- I cried for three hours after my very first television interview. The worst camera angle in the history of TV. Trust me.
- I drove a vintage 1968 Mercedes clunker in my teens and 20s, bought on the cheap from a bluegrass band. The trunk could fit 3 bass fiddles.
- When people ask me what I would do if I wasn't a writer, I have no answer.
- I lettered in chorus in high school. Had the jacket and everything. I've never claimed to be cool.
- People told me the 7 Things About Sarah on my website wasn't enough and they wanted to know more. Bet they're sorry they asked.